Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Quality over Quantity?

So which is really more important when it comes to workout, quality of the workout or just making it to they gym every day. I think that this is one of those areas where you can easily be caught justifying an excuse not to go to the gym. Now don't get me wrong, there are some very valid reasons that someone might not make it to the gym every day. I've come up with a bunch of those reasons and made them excuses many times! But that doesn't change my question for the day. Let's say for example, that you were planning on going to the gym at 6 am in the morning, but didn't really get to sleep until about 1 am. So, you basically would get about 4 1/2 hours of sleep (assuming you could get up and out the door and make it to the gym in 30 minutes). I don't know about you, but whenever I've done that in the past, my workout has been pretty much worthless. But, if quantity is much better than quality, than it shouldn't matter.

I happen to be a believer that the quality of your workouts supercedes just mere quantity. I would much rather have 2-3 really good workouts in a week than 4-5 crappy ones where I just went for the quantity aspect of things. I think I remember reading in the Body-for-LIFE book that Bill Philips has similar beliefs, but I might be thinking of something else. But once again I think the danger really comes when someone will start to think every morning "oh, I'm too tired today again! Well, wouldn't want to have a crappy workout, so I'll try again tomorrow." And then tomorrow never comes because they keep putting it off. I know that I have been guilty of this in the past. So, here's my verdict on the whole thing: yes, quality is much more important than just mere quantity. But, if you catch yourself missing more than 2 days in a row because you think that the quality will be bad, then you better get your butt out of bed because at this point anything would be better than nothing!

I guess the reason I'm writing about this today is because the scenario that I mentioned above was exactly what happened to me this morning. So, tomorrow is a new day, and even if the quality is going to be really bad, I still plan on making it to the gym tomorrow morning just to make sure I don't slip into a "after the holiday" rut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home