Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday April 24 - Chest and Biceps

Great workout this morning! Today I felt an awesome pump after doing the chest portion of my workout, and then again when I was done with the bicep portion. Too bad the chest pump was almost gone by the time I was done with my biceps or it would have been an incredibly good pump, but I still give today's workout a 9 out of 10. As I mentioned before, I like to mix things up in my workouts every now and then, so today I decided to do some triple drop sets as an alternative to just the standard 3 sets of whatever reps that I normally do. Also for another change-up, I used all machines for my chest workout instead of free weights like I normally do.

As another alternate I also did Trisets for my bicep workout. Most people are familiar with supersets, where you combine two exercises with no rest, but I haven't seen too many people use Trisets. I actually got the technique from an article by Tom Venuto called 5 Star Arm Workouts (you can read it here). He has a few other great arm workouts, but the Trisets is one that I have used most often. Basically you do three different bicep exercises in a row without resting, and you also try to vary the part of the bicep that you hit with the exercise to make it a more complete workout. Trust me, you'll feel great (or weak!) after you do a tough set of these. I have still been keeping my weight lifted down since I'm still focusing on my form and technique, but I still had a great workout despite the lower weights. Every day I feel I'm proving what Tom Venuto said before about making the weight seem heavy, even when it really isn't.

Here's today's workout:
Hammer Strength Bench - Triple Drop Set - 55/45/35lbs x 8 reps, 55/45/35lbs x 8 reps, 45/35/25lbs x 8 reps (weight is per side on machine)
Incline Press Machine w/ Plates - 3 sets of 50lbs x 8 reps each, slow tempo, squeeze at top.
PecDeck - Triple Drop Set - 60/40/30lbs x 8 reps, 70/50/30lbs x 8 reps, 70/50/30lbs x 8 reps.

Bicep Trisets
Dumbbell Standing Curls - 3 sets of 25lbs x 8 reps each
Dumbbell Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 25lbs x 8 reps each
Reverse Barbell Curls - 55lbs x 8 reps, 2 sets of 45lbs x 8 reps each.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home